Sunday 17 July 2016

Rock Werchter 2016

Hiya!!

Summer, music, food, fun, friends and no rushing that is for me the description of a festival. Every year with the end of school I start my summer by going to the closet festival in my neighbourhood and that is (you can guess it from the tittle) ROCK WERCHTER.

One of the biggest festivals in Belgium and only a few kilometres from my doorstep. The line up this year was okay, the weather was bad, the festival ground was worse but I had a lot of fun being there for four days in a row.

I'm going to walk through those four days with you guys to show you how my Rock Werchter experience was this year.



DAY 1


I'm the lucky bird that didn't need to put up a tent or anything else to stay the night as I simply go home after the last show. Also download the great Rock Werchter App, it's so handy for the schedule and information about artists and where you can find which sort of food.

My friends and I weren't rushed because the first show on the agenda for us was Kaiser Chiefs and that was at around 15:30 so we chilled at the backyard of a friend that lives at Werchter.

Kaiser Chiefs

After Kaiser Chiefs we went back to our friends house to eat and return just to see the last songs of Walk Off The Earth and it was amazing. After their show people where still singing one of the last songs at the toilets :')

Walk Off The Earth

We left and went to mainstage to see Ellie Goulding. I'm not a fan of her but my friend was so we sat down on the sand. Whiles my two friends stayed to see Ellie I left to go see Flume.

Ellie Goulding

 I was pretty late at Klub C so I was more at the back of the tent squished between people. But that didn't stop me from having like an amazing time watching and listening to Flume. He was incredible!

Flume

Now the struglle came, Paul McCartney, Sigma Live and Years&Years were overlapping each other! So I first went to Paul but soon enough me and two family members from one of my friends we'd met, left to go and sit at the Barn for Years&Years and can I tell you it was amazing! The show they've put on!

Years & Years

The night ended with Disclosure where we left five minutes early to be ahead of the big crowed. Disclosure was good, but they didn't amaze me, they were what I had expected to be honest.

Disclosure

DAY 2: Mainstage Day

We started with The Van Jets. I was amazed how good this Belgium rock band was. The name said something to us but we couldn't place them. They are the finest Belgian rockband. Killer riffs and delightful melodies, beauty and violence, masculine and feminine is how the band sums up their chemistry.

The Van Jets

Next up was Bring Me The Horizon and I can say my friends where a little out of place and felt as they were at the wrong place. The only downside of the show was that they constantly asked to make room for moshpits making the people who just wanted to watch, like us, being pushed back against each other. But although Oliver was hoarse, it sounded fucking great.

Bring Me The Horizon

After this we stayed to watch Black Box Revelation. After this we went to eat only to return to the mainstage to watch The Offspring. My friends left for Parov Stelar and because I really wanted to see Rammstein's show I just stayed outside The Barn so I could leave in time.

Black Box Revelation
The Offspring
At Rammstein I talked a lot with the security people as I was standing at the side where the entrance and exit was. I can say that security people are often the most friendly and most sober people you meet at festivals hahaha.
But back to Rammstein, they were like freaking good...I don't know how I can describe the show, you just need to see it!

Rammstein

Rammstein

DAY 3

Was the most boring day for us. We just walked around the venue hearing KENSINGTON play from on the bleachers next to Klub C, Watching Band Of Horses at mainstage, being amazed that there was Jazz music from BADBADNOTGOOD. We left to eat and spent some time napping in the sun before we went back, heared the last of Goose, which was good! 

KENSINGTON

Band Of Horses

Goose

We went for a mocktail from Lipton before leaving for Lost Frequencies where I danced my feet off! 

Coupe d'Amour
Lost Frequencies
As soon as that was done we left for Editors which my friend is a big fan of so we where standing up front. It was an amazing end of the night.

Editors

DAY 4: Antoher Mainstage Day

Oh this made us sad, knowing it was the last day. But I did discover The Strypes, and Irish band. I really liked their songs so I'm going to try to keep up with their music. 


The Strypes
Next was James Bay, I'm not a huge fan, but I appreciate and enjoy his music as it is more calming than most of the other acts.

James Bay

We went to the North West Walls after this and stayed a few minutes at the Jupiler House before we left to eat and returned for The Last Shadow Puppets. I didn't knew them at all but still enjoyed the lovely show.

The last Shadow Puppets




After this show we stayed at our spot as it was a good one to also watch Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. 
So let's say that they blew the roof off! Oh my god it was just one big party with an endless amount of people! Playing a few of their biggest hits, doing a dance battle between two people from the audience and just giving his opinion about all the war and hate in this world I can say this was a great act to warm up the audience for Florence+The Machine. 

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis



I saw Florence last year as one of the first acts and she was already good last year but she amazed us all this year with her closing act on the mainstage. She keeps running up and down while singing her songs, she interacts a lot with the audience and she says what is on her mind. 

Florence + the Machine

These four amazing days I saw artists I love, discovered new ones and had an amazing time with my friends. I can't wait to return next year!

Love you all